The 200-acre Butter Bates Homestead, which is located at Notchview on Bates Rd, past Bates Field on the northeast side, was owned by Herman L. Bates. Bates bought the land from his father, William, for an 1847 price of $2,500. With several owners before and after Herman, this homestead was well used by its various owners.
Herman, originally a resident of Worthington, was known for his butter, hence his nickname of “Butter.” He is also credited with bringing in white flour, a first for the town of Windsor. His cousin was Alfred Bates, who later acquired his property and several other farms within Windsor limits. In addition, Herman’s uncle, William, was a justice of the peace and notarized many deeds for Notchview’s lands during the mid-1800s.
The Homestead’s foundations remain on the Notchview property as a large cellar hole. The Homestead was most likely painted red, thanks to surrounding wood fragments. A barn and creamery foundation can be seen as well.
—Rachel Niswander, Terra Corps Community Engagement Coordinator.